Saturday, July 14, 2012

Home again, home again!

Happy Saturday! Tony got home safe and sound yesterday. Not that I was altogether worried, but it's nice to have him back. His voice is almost completely gone. Trying to talk to him on the way home proved interesting. He finally gave up and went to sleep. It was great to see all of the students back and so fired up. I'm excited to talk to him today and hear what he learned... well, maybe not hear. ;-)

I can't believe he will be 14 on Tuesday! I was 14 when he came to live with us. It's a little odd to think about. It occurred to me yesterday that I'm not too far from teaching him to drive. Whew! That kid is growing up so quickly... I still think of him as the little monster with the elf ears. Today I'm taking him to Battlefield Knoxville with Greg as his birthday present. It's laser tag set up like a video game. What's not for a teenage boy to like? Plus he adores Greg, so he's be happy if I told him I was taking him to the backyard if Greg was going to be there.**


This morning I had the most deliciously fall breakfast that I'm almost ashamed to admit it here in the middle of July. Pumpkin oatmeal with cranberries. Oh, so good. In my defense, I was going to have cereal until I saw I was almost out of milk. I needed something filling for my 6 hour shift, and plain oatmeal just didn't sound appealing. Then I saw the can of pumpkin. Done.

I put pumpkin in almost everything in the fall. Sometimes it's on purpose, like with the oatmeal. Sometimes it's because I need to use up the can I opened for my oatmeal. I've discovered that it works really well in spaghetti sauce. I know, I know, spaghetti sauce?? You can't really taste it, but it adds a little bit of a creamier texture that helps the sauce stick to the pasta. I have also been known to add it to soups and chili. Try it, you'll like it!


Like a self-fulfilling prophesy, I left my phone at home today while I was at work. I thought I was going to go stir crazy. I can't even use my phone at work, but just knowing I didn't have it made me a little batty. Everyone knows I was at work this morning, and I worked from 6:00am to 12:00pm.... on a Saturday. What did I think I was going to miss? I think it's a little funny that I feel almost incomplete without my phone. 


**EDIT: We took him to Battlefield Knoxville, then he convinced Greg to pay for him to ride go-karts at Zuma Fun Center. While we were there the guys had to play a few arcade games, and Tony ended up with 1,082 tickets to redeem! Then we went to dinner and McKay's. After that I said done because I was exhausted and broke. .

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...