Monday, June 30, 2014

Impromptu Tourism

I live near some pretty nice tourist attractions (*cough*Smoky Mountains*cough*), and not too far from some touristy cities like Chattanooga and Nashville. I always mean to stop and be a tourist in my own backyard, but I just never do. Until this past weekend.

I had to meet my niece in Chattanooga (it's about halfway between her house and ours) on Saturday, and when we were about to leave Greg told me he'd never been to Lookout Mountain. What? Inconceivable! Since it was only 15 minutes from our current location, we decided to go and play tourist for the day at Rock City.
If you've ever taken a road trip through the South, you've probably seen the trademark barns directing you to See Rock City. It's a self-guided tour along the edge of Lookout Mountain. Probably the biggest draw is the Lover's Leap view where you can see 7 States (Alabama, Georgia, Kentucky, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, and Virginia). It's definitely more of a tourist attraction than a strenuous hike, which was good since neither of us were really dressed for much but a car ride!

There's all sorts of rock formations and little additions along the path.
Mushroom Rock

I have no idea what this is. A human size bird cage?

An eagle statue just for Greg!


The 7 States

 I love the view, but I wish they had like a window with the outline of the states or something so you knew exactly what you were looking at. I should put that in the suggestion box. ;-)
 
That's a pretty nice delfie right there...

You can tell I was not planning on this adventure! Wrong clothes!
 You can't tell, but I was trying really hard not to laugh in this picture. A lady saw me taking the picture above it and asked if I wanted her to take a picture of the two of us, so I said sure. About the time she clicked the picture she said "since I'm doing this would you mind taking one of us?" meaning her and her husband. I just laughed and said sure.  Really, she could have just asked if I'd take their picture.
Not only handsome, but incredibly strong!

 This was called Tortoise Shell Rock, but G and I agreed that it looks more like a polar bear head. Or maybe we're both a little weird.
 It rained most of the way down there (and part of the hike!) but the clouds looked awesome. That fuzzy spot near the middle right was actually rain coming down in the valley.
 I'm not sure why there's a Fairyland Caverns on the way out, but it's fun to look at.
 I had to take this one for my fellow pumpkin-lover, Amy! Not bad digs, really!

Overall we had a pretty good time taking a break to be tourists!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...