Sunday, October 13, 2013

Weary


Weary? That's me. Carrying a heavy burden? One or two. Generally, I try not to complain about my life; not because I don't have problems, but because complaining doesn't fix anything. When I whine about something it just reminds me of the negatives without focusing on any of the positives. But like I said, that doesn't mean I don't have problems.

I have been under a lot of stress  lately, and it has manifested itself as muscle pain. I tend to store all of my stress in my shoulder; my right shoulder if we're being specific. I don't know why, but that's where it likes to live. The tension got so bad on Thursday that it was spreading down around my ribs. I don't know it's you've ever had a muscle spasm/cramp around your ribs, but it was not fun! By the time I laid down for bed that night my shoulder hurt so bad I was in tears. I couldn't think of anything to do to ease the pain.

Since I was awake, I started looking through my tablet. I launched my Bible app, and Matthew 11:28 was the verse of the day. Coincidence? I think not. If you read the rest of that passage you see that Jesus was asking us to give up our heavy burdens and take his light one.
Then Jesus said,  “Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you. Let me teach you, because I am humble and gentle at heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy to bear, and the burden I give you is light.”
Matthew 11:28-30, NLT
So I shut down my tablet and started praying. I told God that I was weary of being weary. I asked him to take my burdens. I told Him I was giving Him the stress, the pain, the borderline anger I was carrying. I asked Him to help me rest, both spiritually and physically. He did. I kept praying that passage until I drifted off to sleep. When I woke up the next morning, my shoulder felt much better. I also felt calmer about the mountains that are in front of me. 

All this to say, isn't God good? He gave me the verse I needed, when I needed it, and helped me remember that I don't have to take it all on myself. I don't have to carry everything. Maybe I need to paint that on my wall.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...