Friday, October 4, 2013

Family weekend: Day 1

Hello from Alabama! Yes, that is correct. I managed not only to get out of Knoxville, but all the way out of the state! First time in over a year. Crazy! What am I doing in Alabama you ask? Well, everyone's birthday was coming up (I'm only barely kidding, but we'll get to that in a second), so we drove down for a visit. And if I'm taking a road trip, I'm not taking my car so...
Enter the rental car! I get to pretend I own a 2013 Toyota Corolla for the weekend. It's a nice little car, and way nicer than mine, but I don't think I'd buy one for reals. Fun for this trip though!

It's about a three four hour drive from my house to Mimi's house. I normally make the trip in a straight shot, only stopping for gas, but we were trying to take our time since Mimi had a hair/nail appointment booked for today [insert jealousy], so we planned a rest area picnic to break it up.
I will admit it was nice to get out and walk around for a minute. My back was a little sore today, so it was probably good for me to get out and stretch a bit.

After lunch, we got back in the car and made the rest of the trip without incident. I used to drive down here so much I could probably find it with my eyes closed. It has been 4 years since the last time I was here, so I got a little foggy once I got to Mimi's county. Tony's taken the trip almost twice as much as I have, so any time couldn't quite remember where I was supposed to turn, he'd pipe up with exact directions including landmarks. He's learned well.

 When we arrived, the dogs were happy to see us. And by the dogs, I mean Bubber (pronounced Bubba), the Poodle/Maltese mix.
He would bring each of us the ball and wait for us the throw it. Except that about 75% of the time he'd grab it as you would pick it up and wouldn't let go. If you let go of the ball, he'd tap you with it. Basically, he couldn't decide if he wanted to play fetch or tug of war. I wish I could have gotten video of it because it was pretty funny. Maybe tomorrow. Molly on the other hand is the total opposite. 
She sat right there for most of the day. When someone can to sit down, she'd crawl onto the couch part so they could pet her. Other than that I would have forgotten she was here.

My oldest niece, Brittany, arrived about an hour after we did. Thank goodness, because Tony practically had his nose pressed to the door waiting for her to arrive. As much as I love my brother, John, Tony loves his Brittany... and I just realized I didn't get a picture of any people. Ha! Tomorrow.

Anyway, after visiting for a few minutes, Bee (everyone has a nickname) said she couldn't wait any longer and handed me a gift bag. She said it was just because we hadn't seen each other in a long time (which is quite sad and quite true). Can I just tell you that my genius of a niece nailed me in 3 presents?
Owls, a watch, and the Wizard of Oz? Yeah, that's pretty much me in a bag. Then she gave Tony a few things (some glow sticks, an awesome light-up travel cup, and food). At that point we decided that everybody would get presents!

 
Mom and Mimi share a birthday on October 6, and Brittany's birthday is October 16. In addition, I have friends/family with birthdays on the 1, 2, 5, 10, 12, 19, 21, and 28 of this month. I told you everyone's birthday was coming up. 

After our mini-Christmas, we had dinner. Later my aunt Sara came over with a birthday cake for my mom. 
She said she put representative candles on there (my mom will be 60 on Sunday), which my mom got appreciated. She said she didn't know if she had the lungs for all of her candles. The cake was a mandarin orange and pineapple cake and it was delicious! I'll have to see if I can get Aunt Sara to give me the recipe. 

Finally, it was time for me to got to bed in my cupboard in the bathroom.
Still bigger than in NYC
For the record, that closet is huge! I'm not quite sure how the tradition got started, but I have always slept in the bathroom closet when I visit my grandmother in Alabama. Yes. That's the closet inside the guest bathroom. Yeah, let that sink in. Anyway, it's nice and cozy. Now, I'm going to get some sleep! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...