Thursday, September 26, 2013

Respond with Love

I promise... at some point I will get back to my regularly schedule blog. But tonight, I wanted to talk about something that's been on my mind lately; loving people when you don't want to love them.

This is something that I struggle with all the time. I'm not talking about loving G when he's grating my nerves or loving my brother when he's being a brat. No, I'm talking about loving the people that were put in my life to challenge me. My inclination has always been to lash out and break them. I've not always been the best of people. :-/ But as I challenge myself to be more loving, I'm also learning how to respond.

Yesterday on the way home, I was listening to Air1 and the DJ was talking about how even when we argue with someone, we need to do it with love. He sited 1 Corinthians 11:1-3.
If I could speak all the languages of earth and of angels, but didn’t love others, I would only be a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. If I had the gift of prophecy, and if I understood all of God’s secret plans and possessed all knowledge, and if I had such faith that I could move mountains, but didn’t love others, I would be nothing. If I gave everything I have to the poor and even sacrificed my body, I could boast about it; but if I didn’t love others, I would have gained nothing. (NLT) 

Several instances have come up recently, and I'm ashamed to admit that I did not handle them all with the grace and love they deserved. And another one happened today, but God had prepared me with this verse. I knew I needed to respond in love, but I could not figure out how. After a lot of meditation on those verses, I realized that the most loving thing for me to do is to not respond at all. 

Well, that's one day down. Now to remember it all tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...