Sunday, January 27, 2013

Hat of the Month: January Hungry Fish

Happy birthday, Melissa! Here is post 2 of 3 for January's Hat of the Month Club...


Ok, so technically this pattern is called "Stinky Fish," but I didn't really like that title. So in Melissa's box this one was labeled at "Hungry Fish." I mean, the hat looks like it's eating her head, so hungry makes sense, right?

Before I begin, I feel the need to confess something to you all. I am a cheap-o. Especially when it comes to buying crochet patterns. Since I can usually look at a picture and figure out the pattern, I have to be really determined if I'm going to shuck out the money for one.

When I originally saw a fish hat pattern, it was this one. Cute, right? But, I'd have to pay for it. And I'm a cheap-o. So I started looking for a free pattern. I found one! And it's the one I used in the above picture. But, I'm going to tell you something....
I should have bought the pattern.

Nothing against the writer of the pattern I used, but the tail was a little complicated, and the transition from the tail to the body was more than a little confusing. Case in point....
Ooh, I'm doing good....
Ha, no you're not.
I also was not a huge fan of the way the mouth turned out. Somehow the mouth was getting off center. Twice. The second time around I just slip stitched over to where it was supposed to start and went from there. By the time I had gotten that far I was just ready to be done with fish. 

I didn't crochet the eyes or the middle fin. I used some over-sized buttons for the eyes, and I felt like the hat was cute enough with just the side fins. Like I said, I was ready to be done. 

The hat turned out fine. I'm sure it's a good pattern, and maybe if I had given it a third shot I would have figured out where things were getting so confused. But, in all honesty, I really should have gone with the pattern I fell in love with instead of being a cheap-o.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...