Friday, January 18, 2013

An Idea is Born...

In November of 2012, my cousin, Melissa, went for an MRI because the doctors thought there was something going on with her inner ear. They discovered that her problem was actually a brain tumor the size of a tennis ball in her frontal lobe. The doctors said they thought it wasn't cancerous, but obviously they had to go in and get it. So on December 5, 2012, Melissa went in for brain surgery. The surgery went fine, she came out without any real complications (other than, you know, they had to cut into her head). They were able to remove most of the tumor, and the part they couldn't get looked more like normal brain tissue anyway. 

The doctors ran the pathology on the tumor, and unfortunately it wasn't benign. Melissa has Stage 3 brain cancer. So I started praying. Not only was I asking for healing, but I was also asking God what should I do. Melissa lives in Virginia, and it's about an 8 hour drive so the standard helping around the house option was out. But I feel the need to DO things to help people. Enter the Crafty Jenguin Hat of the Month Club! 

She had to shave her head for the surgery, and her treatment might include further hair loss. I thought sending her a different hat each month might brighten things up a bit. And of course these aren't going to be standard beanies. Melissa's a bit of a quirky chick, and I'm trying to brighten her day, so my intention is to make her hats that are more fun and less standard. Here's a peak at part of the first hat I'm making.

Since her birthday is this month, I'm trying to get the first box off by next Tuesday. That being said, I need to get back to work!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...