Thursday, December 27, 2012

Christmas and Other Stuff

Wow. I can't believe how quickly Christmas came and went. It didn't really even feel like it happened. I had a good day though. Greg came over for breakfast and we opened presents with my mom and Tony. That afternoon I went over to his parent's house for dinner. It was very tame, which was just what I needed after the craziness of this month.

Let's back up, shall we? The last I posted, Mom was having dizzy spells and my cousin was recovering from brain surgery. Well, thankfully Mom's dizzy spells seem to have eased off. She had a doctor's appointment last week. Her blood pressure had come down quite a bit, which is good. She's still a little dizzy, but she has been for the past 7.5 years. I want her to speak with her Dr. to see if it might be a side effect of her blood pressure meds, but I'll have to make her think that was her idea.

My cousin... well, that's a little tougher. Her pathology report came back a week after her surgery, and it wasn't good news. She has Stage 3 cancer in her brain. With chemo and treatment they are giving her a life expectancy of 3-5 years. They discharged her from the hospital, but she was readmitted last weekend with an infection. She's still in the hospital, but out of ICU. She should be able to go home tomorrow, I think. The whole situation has been a lot to take in. She and I were raised together, in and out of each other's houses when we were little. She actually lived with me and my mom for a few years when we were teens. She was more like my sister than anything else. We've grown apart since she moved back to Virginia (which of course I kick myself for). I can't help but think that's both of my sisters gone way too early. I know miracles happen, and trust me I'm praying for it.

Other than that, I had a pretty good holiday. Like I said, Greg came over to open gifts with me and my family. He gave me a FitBit Zip that I love. 
I don't know why it's sideways,
but it was grinning because I went for a run yesterday
I really wasn't expecting it. I made an offhand comment about liking it when I saw one at Brookstone, but that was it. Unfortunately, it is letting me know how little I actually walk in a day. I stand all the time, but I don't actually walk much. I'm going to have to do something about that. He also got me a new filter for my Bobble water bottle. But, he also got me a Bluray player for my bedroom. I don't know what it says that he got me 2 things that inspire fitness and 1 thing that inspires true laziness. Balance? He got me a few other little things. I got him Animaniacs, Season 1 on DVD and The Incredibles on Bluray. Can you tell he's a kid at heart? 

*****

Today has been an alright day. Two of my friends had their babies today. My friend Tuesday and her husband welcomed their first (and only according to them) child, a daughter named Caroline, at 12:00 this morning. Then Denise and her husband welcomed their second (and last?) child, a boy named Balin (BAY-len). Apparently, today was a busy day. 

With that, I'm off. I have a long work day tomorrow. Hope you had a pleasant holiday!

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...