Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Persistent

I personally do not believe in coincidences. I believe that God has his wonderful hands all over everything we experience and sends it to us at just the right moment, whether we know recognize it or not. Today is a wonderful case-in-point. But first, back story.

I love my church for a multitude of reasons, one of which is the use of the sermon series. I love knowing for the next x-many weeks we're going to be talking about ______. Our last series was called Lured and it was about how we all have weaknesses and Satan will try to use them lure (ha ha ha) us away from what God wants us to do. Loved it. Currently we are in a series called Ripple, based on the book The Circle Maker by Mark Batterson.
Being the good student that I am, I purchased the book (actually Greg got it for my because I misplaced my debit card.... add that to the list of reasons I love that man). The book and the sermons have talked about persistence in prayer. And I found myself being stalked by a parable.

The Parable of the Persistent Widow
Luke 18:1-8
Then Jesus told his diciples a parable to show them that they should always pray and not give up. He said: "in a certain town there was a judge who neither feared God nor cared about men. And there was a widow in that down who kept coming to him with the plea, 'Grant me justice agains my adversary.'

"For some time he refused. But finally he said to himself, 'Even though I don't fear God or care about men, yet because this widow keeps bothering me, I will see that she gets justice, so that she won't eventually wear me out with her coming!'"

And the Lord said, "Listen to what the unjust judge says. and will not Got bring about justice for his chosen ones, who cry out to him day and night? Will he keep putting them off? I tell you, he will see that they get justice, and quickly. However, when the Son of Man comes, will he find faith on the earth?"

Not only did I read about this parable in the book, and listen to Pastor Chris preach about it on Sunday, but my small group also talked about it 2 weeks ago! Ok, I get it! I need to be persistent in my prayers. And I knew which prayer I need to be persistent about: My prayer for a job. I have been "circling" that prayer since before I knew that's what I was doing!

While I was reading the book, the author was talking about his search for a new office space. He found a great location twice, but both times he just missed being able to get the property. He was wondering what God was up to, because he really felt either of those places would have been great locations and he knew it was a move he needed to make. Then he found the perfect place, but it wasn't for sale. Yeah, guess where he moved his office? God had told him no on the first options because He had something perfect in mind.

No coincidences. If he had been able to get either of the first two properties he wouldn't have been able to do great things later. So what does that have to do with me? I read this part of the book less than 5 minutes before I got an email saying that I was no longer in the running for a job. I feel like God has been priming me to know that sometimes He will say no because there's something better, but that I shouldn't give up praying for it to happen. As a matter of fact, I should wear Him out with my prayers. So that's what I'll do. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...