Sunday, November 4, 2012

PBF October Book Club

I've been following the Peanut Butter Fingers blog for a while now. I originally started reading because of her awesome taste in music and for workout inspiration, but I stuck around because she's fun! Then I discovered she had a monthly book club, and I decided to stick around! This month's book was Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher.
Overall, I liked this book. It was a quick read, but it definitely wasn't "light" reading. The story is about a girl, Hannah, who commits suicide, but before she dies she records herself explaining her rationale for ending her life, naming 13 people as contributors to her death. Each person on her list is asked to send the tapes to the next person until all 13 people have heard her final words. The story starts Clay (one of the middle-of-the-list people) receiving the tapes. It was interesting to see how the story developed. the author did a good job drawing you into both Hannah's and Clay's respective stories.

This story was hard to read for me in the same way that The Other Boleyn Girl was hard to read. You know where it's heading, you want to stop it, but you can't. After I read it I kept telling people that it destroyed me in a good way, and they should read it so they would understand. I stand by my dramatic statement. It did destroy me. It made me realize how important a kind word can be. I was constantly reassessing my interactions to see if I could be nicer. I still am.

The book had it's flaws. Hannah's and Clay's stories happen on the same page and some times my brain didn't make the switch between voices. There were also a few unanswered questions, but I think that might have been part of the point. There are always unanswered questions in stories about a death. I still recommend it... you just might want to follow it up with a children's book like I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...